Postfix Add-on Software
To have information listed on this page, please send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. The information listed here is maintained by the respective authors. It is listed without formal evaluation, in other words, no implied warranty of any kind.
This page lists tools, add-ons and howtos by subject. Just to be clear on what I am talking about, here is a brief definition of the terminology that is used below:
- Utility, system - requires no change to Postfix source code.
- Patch - requires making changes to Postfix source code.
- Howto - examples of using add-on software with Postfix.
- OpenDMARC library and MILTER plugin for DMARC verification.
- Prefix WhoIs Milter annotates an email message with information about the remote SMTP client IP address (City, Country, ISP).
- OpenDKIM MILTER plugin for Domain Keys Identified Mail.
- dkfilter mail signing filter by Jason Long; now replaced by DKIMproxy
- dkim-milter domainkeys identified mail signer/verifier; now replaced by OpenDKIM
- dk-milter domainkeys signer/verifier. This uses the Postfix 2.3 plug-interface for Sendmail mail filters. See also the Postfix MILTER_README documentation.
- sid-milter Sender-ID verifier. This uses the Postfix 2.3 plug-interface for Sendmail mail filters. See also the Postfix MILTER_README documentation.
- Modoboa mail hosting platform by Antoine Nguyen.
- vPostmaster mail server with policy filters, POP3, IMAP, webmail, greylisting. Free for non-commercial use.
- Roundcube browser-based mail client with a desktop-like user interface.
- Zimbra Collaboration Suite with email, contact management and group calendaring.
- phpGroupWare multi-user groupware suite written in PHP.
- Squirrelmail PHP4 based system.
- OpenWebmail system.
- IMP system.
- GoodCrypto Encrypt and decrypt messages automatically.
- CipherMail (formerly: DjigZo) Open source email encryption gateway.
- Z1 SecureMail Gateway Security server for email using S/MIME and PGP.
- mtpolicyd a modular policy daemon for Postfix by Markus Benning.
- Valvula high-performance mail policy daemon in C that provides out of the box support for sender login mismatch, mail quotas, per user/domain black/whitelists and white-lists and more.
- Gross greylist server by Eino Tuominen and Antti Siira.
- pfxpold policy daemon with plug-in policy support by Martin Schmitt.
- Postgrey greylist policy server in Perl by David Schweikert.
- policyd policy server in C which provides greylisting, sender (envelope, SASL or host/ip) based throttling (messages and/or volume per hour) and spamtraps by Cami Sardinha.
- postfwd policy server, written in Perl, combines complex Postfix restrictions in a ruleset similar to those of the most firewalls.
- apolicy or "ACL Policy Daemon" in Python by Miguel Filho.
- ppolicy policy server in Python, by Petr Vokac.
- smtpd-policy-template skeleton policy server in Perl by Michael Tokarev.
- gld greylist server with MySQL database by Salim Gasmi.
- SQLgrey: greylist policy server with auto-whitelisting in Perl with support for PostgreSQL, MySQL and SQLite storage by Lionel Bouton.
- Greylist daemon greylist policy server in C++ using MySql, Postgres, or SQLite by Michael Moritz (used to be gps.)
- Greyfix greylist policy server in C with Berkeley DB database by Kim Minh Kaplan.
- policyd-weight weighted policy daemon by Robert Felber, to score DNSBLs, HELOs, FROMs, and Client IP Addresses, and reject mail before any queuing is done.
- tumgreyspf Greylisting and SPF policy server by Sean Reifschneider. This uses the file system (instead of a database file) for storing greylist data and configuration information.
- libspf and libspf2 libraries
- libspf2 patch by Nigel Kukard.
- libspf2 patch by Dean Strik.
Note: Postfix already ships with SPF support, in the form of a plug-in policy daemon. This is the preferred integration model, at least until SPF is mandated by standards.
Open relay/proxy detection
- grinch utility by Daniel Mack. On request by Postfix, it finds out if a host is an open mail relay and caches the result.
- proxycheck open proxy detection utility by Michael Tokarev. Some additional scripting is required to integrate with Postfix.
Before SMTP authentication
- pop-before-smtp utility by Bennett Todd.
- pop-before-smtp howto by Ralf Hildebrandt.
- DRAC howto by Ralf Hildebrandt.
- OpenPec Certified email system by EXEntrica S.r.l..
- postY Administrative tool for Postfix.
- AutoMX self-help email account provisioning by sys4.de.
- Cyrup lightweight virtual domains/users management web tool by Yuri Pimenov and Deniss Gaplevsky.
- ViMbAdmin Virtual Mailbox Administration web application by Open Solutions, Ireland.
- Korreio is a graphical toolkit to electronic mail systems management. It has several independent modules: Postfix Queue Manager, LDAP management, Cyrus-IMAP Mailbox management and Cyrus-Sieve management.
- KyaPanel server manager from Anahuac.
- Phamm Web Based Management tool for Virtual Domains and Virtual Users that are stored in LDAP.
- POSTCONF Mail Server.
- Running Postfix with Solaris 10 SMF by Geoff Gibbs.
- RavenCore Hosting Control panel web-based control panel uses dovecot for POP3/IMAP, and configures multi-user / multi-domain email addresses with SMTP authentication via SASL. Also has the option for spamassassin and clamav for mail scanning.
- pfqueue Postfix queue management utility.
- Postfix Admin a Web Based Management tool for Virtual Domains and Virtual Users that are stored in MySQL.
- webmin system has a Postfix configuration module.
- webmin system documentation.
- tequila system for Postfix configuration management, including mail forwarding and autoreply.
- postfixmanager howto for a Postfix/Courier-IMAP/Courier-maildrop/Cyrus-SASL/MySQL/spamassassin/amavisd-new/ClamAV setup, by Genco YILMAZ.
- BASH script for automatic completion of postconf commands by Carsten Hoeger.
- BIGMAIL filter to replace large attachments with link to F*EX server. Author Ulli Horlacher.
Virus/SPAM content filters
- postfix-filter-loop SMTP-based content filter (skeleton) in Python by Miroslav Houdek.
- Cloudmark Authority Milter High performance spam, phishing, and malware protection for your Postfix installation.
- Fuglu modular pre/after queue content filter written in python, by O. ("oli") Schacher.
- milter manager utility by Kenji Okimoto.
- Kaspersky Linux Mail Security system.
- amavisd-new utility, a high-performance interface between MTA and virus/SPAM scanners.
- Dr.Web anti-virus & anti-spam for Telecoms and businesses with heavy mail traffic; available as solution and SDK.
- MPP for Postfix antivirus, antispam, archival, access control, content filtering, thresholds, auto-black lists, spam traps, and more.
- SpamAssassin mail labeling system.
- j-chkmail a milter based spam/virus solution for heavy traffic. Includes greylisting, client rate limits (connection rate, message rate, simultaneous connections, ...), statistical filter on content, and more.
- Automagically whitelist recipients from postfix in Spamassassin utility by Dick Visser.
- XamimeLT email content management system.
- Postfix+Amavis+ClamAV+Spamassassin howto by Tobias Rice.
- ClamSMTP content filter based on the ClamAV anti-virus software.
- renattach rename or delete attachments by file name or file type, by Jem Berkes. Beware: prior to version 1.2.2 the "-p" or "--pipe" command-line option is not safe and may result in munged addresses. Discontinued by author.
- spampd spam filtering, transparent SMTP/LMTP proxy using SpamAssassin, in Perl by Maxim Paperno.
- per-user SpamAssassin filtering by Mikko Pikarinen.
- mailscanner system, works with Postfix and other MTAs. WARNING: This software uses unsupported methods to manipulate Postfix queue files directly. This will result in corruption or loss of mail. The mailscanner authors have sofar refused to discuss a proper access API or protocol.
- avcheck utility by Michael Tokarev. Interfaces to several virus scanning engines.
- amavis system, works with Postfix and other MTAs.
- maildrop howto by Matthias Andree. The maildrop delivery agent is part of the Courier mail server software.
- anomy email sanitizer system.
- anomy howto by Derrick Webber.
- smtpprox generic SMTP filtering proxy by Bennett Todd.
- procmail howto for sanitizing email by John D. Hardin.
- crm114 mail content inspection system.
- Tagged Message Delivery Agent (TMDA) by Jason R. Mastaler, a system that requires unknown senders to send confirmation before they are put on a whitelist.
- Postfix Anti-UCE Cheat-Sheet by Jim Seymour.
- UCE and other howtos by Ralf Hildebrandt.
- Per-user UCE controls patch by Jozsef Kadlecsik.
- RBL analysis tools by Craig Sanders.
- altermimepro disclaimer management system by Paul L Daniels.
- Faxmimum Fax Messaging Server (FMS) integrates with Postfix and other MTAs and provides email-to-fax and fax-to-email gateways.
- Listar howto by Craig Sanders.
- Mailman, the GNU Mailing List Management System.
- majordomo howto by Jon Parise.
- SmartList Mailing List Management System howto.
- pflogsumm logfile analyzer utility by Jim Seymour.
- Postscreen-Stats by Julien Vehent.
- multitail logfile analyzer utility, with color scheme, by Folkert van Heusden.
- Spamrep detailed server, user, and domain reports on filter activity.
- AWStats logfile analyzer system.
- Anteater logfile analysis system by Tobias Erbsland.
- mailgraph, an RRDtool frontend utility by David Schweikert.
- mailstats logfile analyzer utility by Craig Sanders.
- LogReport logfile analyzer system. On-line log report processing is available at email@example.com.
- Logrep logfile analyzer system.
- Isoqlog logfile analyzer system (also supports qmail and Sendmail).
- pam lookup table by Andrew I Baznikin; for example, use this to implement local_recipient_maps with RADIUS.
- NIS+ patch by Geoff Gibbs.
- tinycdb Michael Tokarev's own CDB implementation.
For howto documents, see Howtos and FAQs.
- Dovecot system implements IMAP and POP, and supports TLS.
- perdition system is a smart POP/IMAP proxy that connects users to the "right" POP/IMAP server.
- Cyrus IMAP system implements IMAP, POP3, and KPOP, later versions also support TLS. This software implements its own private mail database system. Not for beginners.
- vmail admin a set of PHP and PERL scripts for administering virtual domains on a pop toaster that uses Postfix, Postfix virtual or Courier IMAP, and MYSQL.
- Courier-Imap system provides POP3 and IMAP, and supports access over SSL. This software supports the maildir-style mailbox format only (one message per file, same format as qmail).
- Qpopper system supports POP3, TLS (SSL), and uses the traditional UNIX-style mailbox format (multiple messages per file, each message starts with "From sender date...").
- MSH Free Autoresponder is a milter plugin that creates autpreplies on the basis of configurable criteria.
- Autoreply system architecture by Joshua E. Warchol. You still need to provide the PERL script that does the actual responding.
- gnarwl autoreply utility by Patrick Ahlbrecht. This uses LDAP instead of .forward+vacation.
- Postfix/Dovecot quota support.
- quota policy daemon script by Pablo Armando.
- PostmMon Postfix Mail Box Monitor by Eduardo Mendes and Ricardo Malafaia. This sends mail notifications when a user has too much mail.
Miniature client software
- mini_sendmail utility by Jef Poskanzer, a minimal program to submit mail over SMTP, for example, from a chrooted WWW server.